Friday, 19 February 2010

Food Glorious Food

Another thing I intend to regularly blog about is food. I'm an accomplished cook and my favourite past time next to eating and watching TV programmes about food and the cooking of it, is to cook. I thought you might be interested in what I cook on special occasions and on a more mundane day to day basis. I often plan our meals for the week and do an online shop to cover this and have a kind of pot luck weekend usually involving a restaurant or two...

My reasons for this are not motivated by a "look I can cook" kind of attitude. Living in this village I've learnt to cook some fantastic meals using (sometimes very) basic ingredients that are cheap and available anywhere. Also I used to be as guilty as anyone for trying new recipes and buying strange things that would then sit at the back of the cupboard.  In this day and age we all have to think about economising and wasting food and I can be pretty creative at times whilst still producing quality food. I love watching TV chefs/cooks like Nigella Lawson, Hugh Fernley-whathisface etc but then their leftovers either come from Harrod's foodhall or from farmer friends who 'donate' half a lamb for their deep freeze. I doubt that they've had to look in the cupboard at the end of a month and had to create a meal out of cous cous, tomatoes and some past their best veg...

Tonight's menu features one of our comfort dishes: Chicken and Asparagus Salad with Parmesan. We love to eat this when the asparagus season starts back up and although asparagus is becoming more available out of season there is a huge difference in taste. Try this recipe with the finest ingredients you can afford and try it with cheaper ingredients and I guarantee you can taste the difference.
 
For three hungry people (or four civilised ones)
Stage one: take
4 chicken breasts marinade in
1 lemon juiced
3tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic crushed for at least 30 mins.
Drizzle some asparagus spears on oil and griddle for 3 mins a side and set aside.
Make pesto: grind a bunch of basil, 3 tbsps of toasted pine nuts with one garlic clove, 2 tbsps of grated parmesan and enough oil to loosen up the mix.
Grab watercress, rocket and spinach and mix, spread on three plates.
Griddle chicken for 10 minutes a side until cooked and slice and scatter over the salad, top with pine nuts, asparagus and parmesan shavings. Take pesto and mix with 1tbsp or sherry or white wine vinegar and drizzle over entire thing. If you lack the self control that I do, put more parmesan over entire thing and serve with warm sourdough bread to mop up the cheese and dressing.

1 comment:

  1. Your recipes look great.... I keep meaning to try polenta.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!