Friday, 26 February 2010

Research...ahem.


I found some interesting things today and thought I'd share my findings, lest you think my studies are boring. I was reading a review of a book on Royal Court politics today. I did some background reading on an author of one of the articles and by one way or another eventually found this...

http://www.phallus.is/

The Icelandic Phallological Museum is probably the only museum in the world to contain a collection of phallic specimens belonging to all the various types of mammal found in a single country.

Phallology is an ancient science which, until recent years, has received very little attention in Iceland, except as a borderline field of study in other academic disciplines such as history, art, psychology, literature and other artistic fields like music and ballet.


Now, thanks to The Icelandic Phallological Museum, it is finally possible for individuals to undertake serious study into the field of phallology in an organized, scientific fashion.

The Icelandic Phallological Museum contains a collection of two hundred and nine penises and penile parts belonging to almost all the land and sea mammals that can be found in Iceland.

In the gift shop, this is what they do with the left over testicles...

 
Ballsack lamps


Fancy a holiday to Iceland anyone?

5 comments:

  1. Well that settles it. I'm not leaving my body to medical science. The Icelandic Phallological Museum can have it on the condition that they turn my scrotum into a nice, tasteful lamp so that Fran can think of me as she reads at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a, phallologia perennis... phallus longus, uita breuis...
    Shall I shut up now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm particularly pleased by the museum's list of honorary members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Simonides: Hippocrates would love this museum. I like how its managed to inspire a special song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how quickly royal families segues into a discussion of phalluses- very enlightening!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!