Saturday, 26 June 2010

*chug, *cough, *splutter, *bzzz, *whirr.....hummmmmmmm....

Why the noises? Those torturous, mechanical sounds are the sounds of my brain attempting to fire into gear. After an all too infrequent visit to the hallowed halls of the University to catch up on some paperwork and a natter with my PG pals, I have decided that my brain has died or at the very least has shrivelled to at least half the size it used to be and something needs to be done about this urgently. Gone are the facts regarding the beginnings of Greek Democracy, gone are the Ancient Greek principal parts, gone are the daily lives of the Spartan women and adiós to the faultlines in Roman texts. What have I replaced this with? Erm, I don't know...

It can't be baby facts as I'm certain I knew most of these given past experience. It's not fiction, film or music as I can't remember the last time I picked up a book since discovering I couldn't read while breastfeeding B (she's a fusspot) although I seem to be able to turn the pages of Vogue or The Skinny quite easily...

It used to be thought that a woman's brain shrinks up to 4% of its original size during pregnancy leading to what the lay person would call 'baby brain'. The well known condition where every time you leave something on, or forget something or just generally act like a boob, you shurg your shoulders and cite baby brain as the culprit of this latest calamity. Recent research has sought to disprove that such a condition as baby brain exists at all, leaving mothers like me wondering what has happened to their brain. A once articulate, energetic person, I now stumble through the day bleary eyed, fuelled by double espressos and perpetually puzzled by where I've put my keys this time. I fall asleep in front of the TV after sitting down to watch Question Time to stimulate my brain. I don't know if it's a combination of tiredness, being swamped with children related stuff and baby brain but I'm in serious need of cranial exercise...

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. It exists! I would give you an example but I can't remember...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Sudoku or Crosswords, depending on where your talents lie ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Kept losing my pens so have resorted to reading a potted history of the Forbidden City.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!