The holidays are so busy at the moment and I have had the energy or the time to write anything. We're preparing for out mini-break this weekend and running around doing summer camps. Dinners this week have been quick and quirky. We've eaten out far too much this fortnight but also have had a few friends and family over for eats. I thought I'd abandon the dishes and steal a quick five minutes to share some.
- 70g pack cubetti di pancetta
- 2 medium courgettes grated
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tbsp single cream
- 30g Parmesan finely grated
- 150g fettuccine
- Cook the pancetta in a dry, non-stick pan until crisp and golden (it'll give off enough fat to cook itself). Add the courgette and garlic and cook for 8 minutes or until the courgette is softened. Whisk the egg, cream and Parmesan and season with pepper. Cook the pasta following the pack instructions, then lift out of water with tongs straight into the courgette pan.
- Toss well over the heat then take off the heat and toss with the egg/ cream mix, adding 2-3 tbsp of the pasta water until you have a nice emulsified sauce.
- 140g unsalted butter , softened
- juice ½ lemon
- small bunch sage , leaves only, roughly chopped
- whole chicken , about 1.6kg/3lb 8oz
- 1 head garlic , broken into cloves in the skins
- 600g small potatoes , scrubbed, cut in half if large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers halved and deseeded
- 200g baby plum tomatoes , skin slashed with a knife
- 300ml chicken stock
- 4 large courgettes , cut into large chunks
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Mash the butter with the lemon juice, sage and some seasoning. Gently separate the skin from the chicken using your hand - start from the bottom of the breast, moving round to the legs, and be careful not to break the skin. Rub the butter underneath. Season the cavity and stuff with half the garlic cloves. Place the potatoes and a few of the remaining garlic cloves in the base of a large roasting tray, drizzle with half the olive oil and place the chicken on top.
- Fill each pepper half with a crushed garlic clove and a quarter of the plum tomatoes, drizzle with remaining olive oil and season. Place around the outside of the chicken and pour over the stock.
- Roast for 1 hr 50 mins or until the juices run clear. Add the courgettes after 1 hr, tossing them in the oil in the pan. Remove and allow to rest for 30 mins, then place the chicken and veg on a serving plate.
- Mix the mustard with the red wine vinegar, olive oil and seasoning. Skim any excess fat off the cooking juices and place in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and whisk in the vinaigrette. Spoon over the chicken and vegetables, then serve.
Bugger, I'm late. xx