Monday, 10 January 2011

Brain Dead


Spurned on by a useful suggestion from Bod for Tea, I thought I'd write a post explaining why I haven't written many posts lately. Confused? You will be but hopefully this is one that many other writers can relate to.

As much as I like to blog, finding the time to do it is impossible at times. I prefer to write a post when I have five minutes peace, when I have no other jobs to do on my list and the kids are asleep or occupied. Herein lies the problem...

I am a parent so there is no such things as five minutes peace. When the kids are asleep I usually am fighting sleep myself. If the kids are actually occupied, then it is because I am keeping them occupied. On a rare occasion during the twilight shift that I am awake I stare blankly at the screen trying to think of something witty, relevant or interesting to write. Nothing comes, I yawn and switch off the laptop. Or I write a ridiculously short piece that provokes no discussion and just gets lost in the oblivion that is Google Reader. So when exactly am I supposed to blog and how can I muster the brain power to do so when the opportunity to write?


Should my zombie survival kit include fish oils? Pro-plus?

How do you cope?

10 comments:

  1. I know they feeling. I so miss day time naps for that space to self. I drive myself throught the evenings, and however tired make myself do stuff or I end up feeling that I have no other life. When I have most energy, ie. during the day I often lurk in the kitchen for 5/10minutes to write notes/thoughts/inspiration. I also work and use lunchtimes (I am lucky in that respect). It's a difficult balancing act. I've made a pact with myself about how often I will post. Unless I particularly have time. I don't do any more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh the Mummy blogger dilemma. Do I draft a post or fix the draft excluder that the dog chewed? Good for you for going with the former. I'm sure a lot of us tap away in the twighlight hours. I find hot chocolate helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't easy to juggle it all. I find that I go through creative patches when I write a few and dry patches when I have nothing at all. So when the going is good I write up a few and save them to trot them out later on. I have also decided to only post twice a week and take part in one weekly meme, so it doesn't take over:) Good luck!! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so with you. Do I write a post or attend to one of the many, many neglected things in my life? I usually just neglect things... It's hard though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It isn't particularly easy especially if you can't think of something to blog about, but as I spend most of my working day writing anyway, I just get on with it. I'm lucky because Amy is 11 and at school between 8.30 and 4pm.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Gemma: Well done on setting a target and sticking to it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mummy@BodForTea: I would need to ace my cocoa with something...lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jen: Thank so much for the suggestion. Will put that on my to do list. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ellen: I may have to too! Maternal guilt creeps in too easily sometimes... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. @CJ: Love your blog and it is incredibly well written which makes me insanely jealous...lol. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!