Sunday, 16 January 2011

Music I want my children to love - Pearl Jam

I was turned on to this themed post by the lovely AlexanderResidence, HazelandBlue and GhostWriterMummy. Fantastic writers and as it turns out, all ladies with fabulous taste in music.

Fabulous of course because their tastes are to some degree reflected in my own, because my peeps, I am the WORST music snob ever! While I am open to suggestions, I tend to think that my tastes are Supreme (pardon the pun) and living with my burgeoning BBoy and a man who likes Bon Jovi, I am fully entitled to this opinion.

Music is a way of life for me. I am very serious about it. I know there are people out there who might like a catchy tune on the radio or let their musical tastes be dictated to them by the masses or what Heat magazine tells you is good. Try as I might, I simply cannot understand people who do not care about music! And by this I mean liking bands such as Boyzone and Girls Aloud people!

Music is a big part of our lives. From the mini music classes I do with B, to A's music lessons, his dancing and his collection of ipods, to dancing around the kitchen dancing and cooking and causing havoc, music is there always. When Oh Daddy and I first did the mating dance, music was there. Oooh, that's not as gross as it sounds, I mean when we were in the heady days of sizing each other up the conversation regarding musical tastes went on for days as we simultaneously poo-pooed bands or approved with raised eyebrows each others passions. He was warned well in advance that if he didn't have acceptable musical tastes, he would not have a look in.

So the theme of wanting your children to love bands that you do, once did or might do in the future, struck a familiar chord (again, apologies) with me.

So what will probably be the first in a long line of tirades about music. Here is the first band I want my children to love. Pearl Jam.


There are many, many reasons for this and nothing to do with my unspoken love for Eddie Vedder! I discovered them at the pinnacle of my plooky angst-ridden-Plath-reading teenage years. They spoke of a world that was broken, of a society that was imploding on itself and being wise men, offered an insight into the world. This is not really the Jam that I want my kids to engage with unless they reach that same stage in their adolescence. The first album is an angry album. The lyrics are snarling and mad at the injustices of the world. They tell of the wasted life of teenage suicide, of broken families. Nothing like my life and full of far more serious problems than I ever had.

The next album and the next few to follow are more mature, mellow, contemplative.

I am Mine. 
The selfish, they're all standing in line
Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
Me, I just figure as each breath goes by
I only own my mind

The North is to South as the clock is to time
There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in between is mine
I am mine

And the feeling, it gets left behind
All the innocence lost in one time
Significant, behind the eyes
There's no need to hide
We're safe tonight

The ocean is full 'cause everyone's crying
The full moon is looking for friends at hightide
The sorrow grows bigger when the sorrow's denied
I only know my mind
I am mine

And the meaning, it gets left behind
All the innocents lost at one time
Significant, behind the eyes
There's no need to hide
We're safe tonight

And the feelings that get left behind
All the innocents broken with lies
Significance, between the lines
(We may need to hide)

And the meanings that get left behind
All the innocents lost at one time
We're all different behind the eyes
There's no need to hide

While you can read your own meaning into these lyrics, for me this song is about individuality and making the most of your life. It's about feeling secure about who you are, feeling free to be whoever you are and finally, embracing who you are.

I'm not going to start banging on about existentialism and Kierkegaard because it's boring. I implore you to hear this as Vedder's voice is truly haunting in this song and this certainly contains a message that I would want my kids to hear.


10 comments:

  1. Great post! I have known of Pearl Jam since I was a teenager: "even flow" alive , etc. I had the album many years ago, but had forgotten about them! That's why I love this link- introducing us back to music! Fab link. Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice of band. I love them. Saw them a few years ago and they were brilliant. Not as fab as they would have been in their hey-day, but still great.

    Awesome x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Becky: Thanks. I had an enormous amount of fun looking through their back catalogue for a song. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah: I agree! Things went a bit ropey after Vitalogy but picked up again. I still want to have Eddie's babies *Shhh.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you mention that, 'Given to Fly' is one of my favourite songs ever, and I'm pleased to say my 4yo loves it. (And he loves The Killers and Powderfinger too.)

    Am so proud *wipes tear from eyes*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Pearl Jam. An ex put some on a mix tape for me. I have one song stuck in my head about a kitchen table in an otherwise empty room... Or something like that. Love That one, please tell me what it is so I can go and download it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I <3 Pearl Jam......nuff said :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mid30's: I knew I like you... ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Penny: a cyber mixtape should be our next project! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Thingsandstuff: Indeed! I'm following you now and can;t wait to read your blog. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!