Saturday, 4 June 2011

Making trouble for myself...

Do you remember my previous post on the horrors of children's parties? Well this year I've really outdone myself. A has been feeling blue lately as the last few weeks of primary school draw near. He has found out that of his core group of 12 friends, 6 of them will not be going to the same high school. Their parents opted, bursaries willing to send their kids to independants schools (a perculiar phenomenon that bugs the hell out of me so I'll save that for another post) and has taken the news quite hard. The 6 that are left are not the ones who I can envisage him being friends with past S1. So to cushion this blow I've only gone and let him invite his entire year to a party! All 54 of them. Oh shit...

I've been quiet lately as the impending move to high school is really stressing me out and I need to write a few posts to gather opinions. About three weeks ago I was convinced that we were making a giant mistake and should possibly keep him back a year until he catches up with his peers. The LEA have gone white every time I mention deferring his high school place and in my meetings with the high school they have promised him the world. I have many meetimgs this week to try and make a decision and figure out what is best. I've tried putting it down to nerves or the unknown terrors of high school. Had I been happier with the support that he has received from the LEA I would feel better about sending him.

To top it off, his Dad's beer was lying on the table tonight while we cleared away tonights dishes and he decided he would take a drink. We caught him in the act and he stormed off to his room.

Trouble is I barely have five minutes to think about this all!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your a brave Mamma! i remember my mum let me invite the whole year for my 16th (and half the year above) roughly 200 kids and not one problem - and there was drinking involved!! Good luck Mamma. im sure it will go well and you will be glad you did it when its over, as for the beer sipping not sure how old A is but is he just pushing the boundaries of growing up?
    Nice to have found your blog
    Lil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crumbs, 54 kids is a lot!! Bet it's a good party though, and one they won't forget in a hurry (nor will you, lol). This step to high school must be so hard at such a young age.

    Good luck with it all.
    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's getting closer and closer and I'm not freaking out yet...

    Thanks for commenting! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!