Thursday, 18 August 2011

Nom, nom, nom...

I haven't posted up a recipe in a while and thought I'd share one from a dinner we held last week.


While I sit here going through the drudgery that is our weekly online grocery shopping and dreaming up this weeks delights, I was reminded of one dish I made last week that was mouthwateringly taste-tastic (my attempt at sounding vaguely  Nigella-esque has me sounding more like Smashy and Nicey!).


I digress. Last week I was entertaining my vegetable-arian BFF's and I hit upon this deliciousness. I adore butternut squash at anytime of the year and have a number of recipes in my arsenal (much to the dismay of OD when I go through a squash phase) and I thought I'd play around with some flavours that I had been craving that day. I had fancied something spicy, salty, sweet, crunchy and sour. 

so here is my spicy, sweet butternut squash, puy lentil and feta salad. 



500g peeled butternut squash, diced into 1-inch (in old money or 2.5cm if you prefer) pieces


100g green lentils, preferably French puy lentils
60-80g feta cheese, crumbled
4 tbsp chopped fresh mint
4 handfuls baby spinach
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sumac
Pinch of ground cayenne, to taste
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Sherry vinegar or wine vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 220C. Bring water to boil in a pot. 

2. Toss the butternut squash with 1 tbsp olive oil, the cumin, and a little salt. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and put in the oven. Throw the lentils into the water. 

3. After 15 minutes, the lentils should be tender but not mushy. The squash should be tender and browning slightly on the bottom. Taste both components and if they are not done, cook for 5 more minutes. 

4. Drain the cooked lentils and toss with the squash, arugula, mint and cheese. 

5. Whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil, the vinegar, the cayenne and the sumac in a small bowl and mix this with the salad.



Simples! If you don't have sumac or cumin, use whatever woody scented spices (cinnamon, ginger, paprika) you have lying around and it will still taste awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!