Friday, 2 September 2011

Mammy's Monday Music Meme! Week 2 - My Contribution

I am gearing up for a weekend without the kids.

Not a weekend of freedom as such, I feel free and not bogged down when the kids are around, but a weekend featuring a bit more drink and junk food than I would usually consume in front of the kids.

While I mentally prepare myself for this my thoughts turn to music. If we had the kids this weekend, it would be, as always, filled with opportunities and adventures. My eldest, A is off to two Royal Academy of Dance workshops this weekend to experience other types of dance. Aside from this we would have been visiting the Edinburgh MELA Festival that is held every year in Leith Links.


We absolutely love this multicultural family festival and the kids and us had a great time last year.  Even our OD, who usually likes to keep emotions under the surface, was moved by watching the Pakistani Sufi band Rizwan-Muazzam Qawwali  last year. The performance was intense and Miss B loved it. 


Our favourite song by far was Allah Hoo (Allah Hu). This is a traditional Sufi Dhikr or chant in where the Arabic for God, Allah is repeated three times followed by the word Truth.  It is said to have started with Abu Bakr, a 6th Century Caliph.

I didn't manage to get a decent video last year but have found another performance of it elsewhere. The sound quality is a bit rubbish and so doesn't really capture the atmosphere. OD had chills!



Have a great weekend everyone. 


4 comments:

  1. I love being exposed to completely different forms of music. Although the sound quality isn't great I can imagine it was fabulous live. They certainly are enjoying themselves!! :D xX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was powerful stuff and really different. Hard to believe these are poets! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how it builds up as it goes on if that makes sense.  Love the music and nice to have the explanation from you too

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have a good multicultural festival thingy in Salisbury once a year by the cathedral - maybe I should open my mind and get down there next year !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!