Tuesday, 4 October 2011

A Cheat's Recipe.

As I am playing nursemaid to a family full of the cold at the moment, I am making quite a lot of soup. 


I like to make my own stock and so often this means that I either have the option of filling that soup full of the meat whether it's ham or beef or chicken or making it into a supplementary dish. Last night's dinner is one such dinner where I have used leftover gammon from a giant pot of spiced lentil, carrot and cumin soup to make this ridiculously easy dish. 


This is too easy because it involves a HUGE amount of cheating. I have made the dish from scratch before and it is labourious. While this doesn't quite give the same results, it is pretty darn close for all of those hours of cooking I did during the previous attempt. So here is my recipe for cheat's Boston Beans. I love Boston Beans but can't help laughing every time I eat them when I recall THAT scene in Blazing Saddles.






I served it with some charred and baked potatoes because as I cheated making the beans and so had some spare time!





  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 500g unsmoked gammon joint, cut into large chunks (freeze any left over)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 x 420g cans baked beans (any brand)
  • 4 tbsp barbecue sauce, plus extra to serve (optional)
  • 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs or any Cajun seasoning you have lying around.

METHOD

1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the gammon and cook for 3-4 minutes, until browned. Remove and set aside.


For veggies, omit the meat and use 250g mushrooms or ask them to leave (I'm JOKING!).

2. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the beans, barbecue sauce, herbs and gammon. Simmer for 10 minutes, until reduced. Season to taste and serve with baked jacket potatoes and extra barbecue sauce, if you like

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!