Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Mid Week Meat Sweats...

On reflection, this is not the best title for a recipe blog post, perhaps...



Hey ho. The common theme of recipes on this blog, is that they are cheap(fairly), quick (sometimes) and easy (hmm...). I love to cook from scratch and have the luxury at the minute of being able to. Most of my recipes, however, can be modified for quickness and ingredients can be substituted. I try to include the variations as much as possible.
This week OD mentioned/complained/hinted that the passing weeks have had a theme. Sausages. Lots and lots of sausages have been consumed in the past few weeks and perhaps it was his pleading look this morning when I asked him what he would like for the dinner or the words "anything except sausages" that made me get my thinking cap on. Actually, that makes the dinner sound more thought out than it was. My careful planning consisted of me bogged down with potatoes and inspecting different cuts of beef in our local Tesco's, Googling recipes on my phone while students kicked Miss B's buggy and attempted to steal my leeks out of my basket.

I came up with this:

Oh Mammy's BBQ Brisket.

I love brisket and it's a fairly cheap cut, my mother would braise it for hours with loads of root veg as a child. There is something very autumnal about slow cooked meat joints.
  • 2kg of Brisket
  • 500 ml/ 18 fl oz beef stock

For the Sauce

  • 1 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 500 ml/ 18 fl oz tomato ketchup
  • 100 ml/ 3.5 fl oz Worcestershire sauce
  • 75 ml/ 2.5 fl oz lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp malt vinegar
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
  • 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
  • 1 tsp dried thyme

For the Rub:

  • 2 tbsp each chilli powder and mustard powder
  • 1 tbsp each paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, ground black pepper, caster sugar
  • 1 bay leaf , crushed                                                 

  • To make the barbecue sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan, then cook onion and garlic for a few mins until soft. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pan with a good pinch of salt and simmer for 20 mins. Use a hand blender or food processor to whizz to a smooth purée.






  • Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Make the rub by mixing all the ingredients together with a pinch of salt. Rub the mix all over the beef and set aside.I cheated tonight and used a generous amount of my special Dean and Deluca SouthWestern Spice Rub that was sent to me from New York. I've been savouring this for a while and unfortunately I am about to run out!







  • In a large roasting tin, mix the beef stock and ½ the barbecue sauce. Add the brisket to the tin, cover tightly with foil, then cook for 3-4 hrs until the meat is really tender when you push a fork into it. The beef can be prepared the night before - just leave it to cool in the tin covered with foil, but don't refrigerate. 








  • I served this with rice and peas and some salad. 
  • 2 comments:

    1. awe this looks delicious!  And no gluten or wheat?  Excellent.  Going to try this next week.  

      ReplyDelete
    2. You should, it wis awfy tasty! 

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to comment!