Monday, 12 December 2011

Don't forget the Grinch. I know he's mean and hairy and smelly. His hands might be cold and clammy, but I think he's actually kinda... sweet.



“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons.
It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”


- How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Dr Seuss.


Ladies, do you live with a man who isn't bothered about the festive season?

I have been unusually quiet this year about Christmas. I am starting to think that years of living with the Grinch has taken it's toll. Or has it? Could it be that the Grinch has discovered the true meaning of Christmas?

I have always loved Christmas and I have a tendency to go over the top every year. I always do it in a classy way of course because I'm a classy bird! There are no animatronic festive figures and my lights are all one colour but I do get the festive bug in a big way and I'm generally a pain the backside for the festive period. OD spends the majority of the festive period rolling his eyes at me, so much so that outsiders may think that he was having a seizure!

When I met OD he possessed a sad little fibre optic tree that looked like it should've been taken outside and put out of its misery. I, on the other would buy the biggest tree I could every year, put the carols on and decorate it with A with mugs of cocoa and marshmallows. When A was three years old, I actually lived on Edinburgh's famous Canongate, four doors away from Edinburgh's only Christmas Shop! For the entire month of December the house would smell of mulled wine, gingerbread and cookies. Oh, I was in my element!

I have lots of little traditions that drive OD mad. I spend hours delicately wrapping gifts, decorations appear everywhere and I fill the house with Christmas scents! I like to do lots of little touches that add a bit if spark to the festive season in the run up to the big guys visit. The kids get special Christmas pyjamas, we visit santa a few times, we make a special effort to see friends who have been busy. OD still refuses to wear special Christmas pyjamas. He moans about my excessive spending, my excessive cooking and usually mutters under his breath for the entire month. Something has changed this year...

I was lucky in that I got to spend every Christmas with A from the beginning to watch his awareness and appreciation of the festive season develop and change over time. OD didn't and so hadn't really witnessed those magical moments of the first few Christmases. Christmas decorating and its accompanying festivities were A and I's thing and he was happy to watch. Now he is experiencing it with B I think his attitude is changing slightly. He was excited about picking the tree this year and did it with A and we had a ball decorating it together as a family. I watched his face as he helped both kids put the baubles on the tree and something has changed. This year when I mentioned that there would be 14 of us for our main Christmas dinner (something I had been building up to for about a week!) he didn't even blink...

...I may even get him in some festive pj's next year!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad. Please excuse any typing errors as my fat fingers and Apple's touch screen technology are not a good combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!