Tuesday, 6 December 2011

My Child isn't Perfect.

My Child isn't Perfect. (My thoughts on Part two can be found HERE.)

Really? Who says?

Tonight I watched a new two part special on children with disabilities. Aired on ITV, the programme was supposed to show examples of what life is like for parents with disabled children. I usually lap these things up viewing them as another worthy step in increasing awareness of the complex world some of us inhabit.

This one left a bad taste in my mouth. I may be being pedantic here but I have a problem with ITV's general representation of disability in general. All of these bloody award ceremonies so the public can indulge their craving for X-Factor-style heartwarming stories. How about donating the cost of such nonsense to the causes that desperately need help so that they can provide help for the people picked to be awarded. I'm sure they would appreciate that more than something to put on their mantle.

Take the title for example. No child is perfect. Full stop. But being disabled or having behavioural, mental or social issues doesn't automatically mean that they are any less perfect than a 'normal' child.

I also shuddered when the narrator, when talking about the lengthy diagnosis process that the family with the autistic boy were going through described it as wanting to know what is WRONG with their son. There's nothing WRONG with the boy!

Oh and if you throw money at a private clinic then it's dead easy to get a diagnosis?! That should keep the Priory in business for a while.

As per usual the programme lacked any real depth and even as a mother of an autistic child, I couldn't relate to the boys mother. There was very little coherence or even insight provided by her rants. It's not fair, why do they get to have normal children and not me?

Also, while we all find this hand we've been dealt incredibly hard at time wishing a brain tumour on your child instead of Tourettes is a silly thing to say. The poor production values of the programme has actually taken away the true struggle that these parents face on a daily basis.

I can't wait for the second installment!

11 comments:

  1. I heard the brain tumour/Tourettes thing and actually, physically shook my head in disbelief. I can't begin to understand but even as an outsider I thought this was a really ridiculous thing to say. I understand she meant that it would (potentially) be cured and that isn't the case with Tourettes but it really did truly strike me as an awful thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are things that we all think to ourselves about the unfairness of it all. It gets so frustrating sometimes that you think silly things. You do not however say it on national television. I'm sure there are plenty of parents and loved ones of children who have had brain tumours who would gladly swap places. Thanks for commenting, Becca. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch this as even the trailer for it made me feel quite uncomfortable. My son is who he is warts and all. Yes life for him is not what I imagined but how do we know how Any of us will turn out. Disability or not x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dearie me.  I have a friend whose child died of a brain tumour and who now devotes her life to raising funds to try and help others in the same situation and her response to this programme was unrepeatable.  Thru her I have heard of so many children dying of Brain Tumours, and other cancers - having a child who swears randomly is so not the same scale of problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have sky plus-ed it and am watching it now.  Horrified by the brain tumour thing. A local boy here died very recently of a brain tumour - I'm sure his mother would be horrified, surely having your child alive but with tics is better than a potential death sentence.  My blood was boiling.  And I haven't finished watching it yet!  GRrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt watch it - the title put me off! I hate the way these special needs are seen as such a negative thing! 'My child isnt perfect'??! Well my son is perfect to me and hes autistic. There is nothing wrong with him, and no way could I ever say I wished he had a brain tumour instead??? Because it can be cured? Sometimes it can, not all times. And at least tourettes, autism etc isnt physically painful! Yes autism can be a struggle, but my son is amazing, I am so proud, I do not feel hard done by , I feel blessed to have such a beautiful, happy , HEALTHY child xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting program I will have to try to catch up. I feel so blessed my boys are healthy and happy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. my son has special needs he has slight autism and like maddie in tonights programme 13th dec, he has behavioural problems and has dyslexia and has a statement for learning difficulties now my son might have phyiscal tourettes as well as dyslexia and dyspraxia, and to susan mann my son is happy too just cos he has disabilities doesnt mean he isn't healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i too have put a comment roxy im 2 up from u  xx i totally agree with u

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said Diane although I'm sure Susan didn't mean anything by that comment! I hope his diagnostic picture becomes a bit clearer soon! Thanks for commenting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really mad about the portrayal Roxy. Thanks so much for commenting. I posted about part two here: http://omammy.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-child-isnt-perfect-part-two.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!