Friday, 27 January 2012

If you had ONE pearl of wisdom to give to expectant parents, what would it be?

We have just had the most fantastic news. Dear friends of ours are expecting their first child.

I was going to write a post about that lovely expectant phase when we're all apprehensive and giddy with excitement about the prospect of becoming parents. That phase where your hopes and dreams are bundled up in this imaginary child. Children really are the most wonderful, joyful, rewarding challenge that will ever undertake and I wanted to convey that to our friends.

I was going to write that post but I've had one of those parenting weeks. One of those weeks where you find yourself scraping vomit off of bed clothes in the middle of the night, whilst trying not to vomit myself. One of those weeks where your toddler refuses to eat anything green or anything that contains a vowel. One of the weeks where you can't remove the poo stain on the carpet. One of those weeks where to spend the entirety of a meeting covering up a giant snail trail of snot down your arm. One of those weeks where you could carry home your weekly supermarket shopping in the black bags under your eyes.


It will pass and normality will return but in the interim I thought that I would ask all of you out there what you would say to these expectant parents.


What would you one pearl of wisdom be? What have you learned long the way? 


I'll collate your replies later on the week and send it to the expectant parents and I'm sure that they will love them!

11 comments:

  1. Mhy pearl of wisdom would be 'Don't have their life planned from birth to the day the leave home' - for one they may want to do something totally different.  I also firmly believe that children have to learn to amuse themselves and while after school clubs and different activities are great for building self esteem and confidence there shouldn't be so many that a child has no time to be bored.  I think that boredom can lead to the greatest inventions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My one big bit of advice is at the hospital - make sure someone takes a photo of the three of you on a decent camera. We didn't - though my sister got one on her phone, and it's always been something we've been a bit sad about, as it's one of the first memories for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best advice I've got about either of my kids (one typically developing, one with autism) has always come from other parents who've walked a similar path, rather than 'experts'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (that is of course assuming they go to hospital!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice so far on here! Lovely idea, by the way. I would say " Don't beat yourself up about not being the perfect parents. There will be good days and not so good days, but there's no manual to parenting. You can only do your best with what you know at the time and your baby will always love you... oh and that leads to a second tip ... lots of cuddles... always be up for a cuddle!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be open and willing to go with the flow - which goes for wherever you are in your parenting journey. I had such set ideas of what I wanted birth to be like, how I'd parent etc etc, and then was given a baby who was 1lb 7oz born at 27 weeks, and tiny and frail. Everything had to change, and I had to change with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't be in a rush - they will grow up in a blink of an eye. Stop and enjoy your children, spend the time and make it count. It's the love and cuddles that count.
     
     

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say take the first few days to get to know your little one and adjust to becoming parents before inviting loads of people round. Looking back, we had visitors from day 1 and although we encouraged everyone to come round from the start, I think in hindsight, a couple days spent just as us, a 'new family' might have been a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, my one pearl of wisdom would be: Any parenting book that makes you feel bad should be put in the bin - follow your instincts and only follow advice that supports you.
    I see a lot of new parents tying themselves in knots over pre-conceived ideas (their own or other people's) of what babies/children 'should' do - about sleeping or eating or any number of other things - whereas I've found if you can park the 'shoulds' and only deal with what is actually causing problems life becomes at least a little easier. Good luck to your friends x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Relax and go with the flow. Try to stay at home during the first couple of weeks... If anyone offers to bring you a home cooked meal, say "YES PLEASE". Oh yes, one more thing.... listen to your gut instinct, it will tell you what to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mother knows best.  Always.  

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!